Thursday, January 15, 2009

David Cook - "Permanent"

I thought this pick was very appropriate this week as the new season of American Idol has begun. David Cook was the winner of American Idol last season and I am a huge fan. I loved him throughout the season, but was convinced he was not going to win because my favorite NEVER wins - at least not until last season. I am a faithful American Idol viewer and fan, but I usually never vote. Last years' finale was the first time ever. Goes to show how true of a fan I am I guess :)

I love the strength and richness of David Cook's voice as well as the raw edge it has. I am obviously a fan of rock, but it's even better when a rock song has really good vocals, which I think David Cook has. I also love his vision as an artist. He had the best arrangements on the show last season - his Billie Jean performance is a perfect example. I think I was literally watching with my mouth open. I love when the contestants arrange their own songs because it shows us what to expect from them as an artist, plus it really makes the greats stand out. Last season I was really impressed with many of the contestants' arrangements.

I was able to see David Cook perform last summer at the American Idol concert. Yes, I actually went... and I'm glad I did. So many great performers. He was AMAZING. And it was interesting watching them all perform live - they are way more talented than we get to see on TV. And even though the teeny-bopping Utah girls that surrounded me at the concert would definitely not agree with me, the right David definitely won. David Cook has an incredible presence on the stage performing. It made me love him even more - but I am a sucker for great live concerts...

I got David's first album for Christmas. I love the whole thing. Definitley an album worth having. It is exactly what I expected it to sound like. His sound is very reminiscent to 80's rock, but with an edgier twist. Especially his ballads. "Permanent" is one of my favorites on the album. So much emotion and struggle behind the words and you can really hear it in his voice. Also check out other songs from the album on WSMGS Radio.

Read more about the artist.
Watch a live performance of this song.
Watch a music video.
Watch his American Idol audition.
Watch my favorite American Idol performance.

My mom pointed out last season that David Cook looked a lot like my own David. I didn't see it until he cut off those huge red bangs he had at the beginning of the season. Then I totally saw it. There's something also about his persona that reminds me of my Dave. Maybe that's why I'm so attracted to David Cook. :)
Here are both David's at 25 (when Dave & I were dating)
What do you think?
See any resemblance?

No comments:

Post a Comment