Friday, April 15, 2011

Paul Simon - "You Can Call Me Al"

I can't remember if I was junior or senior in high school, but one day at the dentist's office I scored two tickets to the Paul Simon/Bob Dylan concert. Good seats. I can't remember all of the circumstances, but I remember I ended up going with my Mom and we had a great time.

I was (and still am) a Simon & Garfunkel fan. At that time I was actually going through a Simon & Garfunkel kick, and was constantly listening to their Greatest Hits albums. Again, one of my favorite albums ever.

I'm not very familiar with much of Paul Simon's solo work. In fact, You Can Call Me Al is one of the few that I actually do know well because 1) it is played at almost every sporting event, including our lowly Needham High football games, and 2) Chevy Chase is in the video and that always caught my attention. He's a funny guy! (plus I was a huge SNL fan)

I was bummed that it wasn't actually a Simon & Garfunkel reunion concert, but I was psyched to see Bob Dylan, since I was a fan of his as well. I actually know more Bob Dylan songs than Paul Simon's solo songs.

The coolest part about the concert (which I was desperately hoping for) was that they actually performed quite a few Simon & Garfunkel songs together - Sound of Silence, Bridge Over Troubled Water, the Boxer, Scarborough Fair - all favorites of mine. It was pretty awesome. And I was far enough away that I could just pretend that Bob Dylan was actually Art Garfunkel (minus a few inches and some crazy curly hair).

Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment