Thursday, July 9, 2009

30 Seconds to Mars - "The Kill"

Well, I missed my patriotic pick for 4th of July, and I missed my MJ tribute week, so I guess life will just go on...

This week's pick is "The Kill" by 30 Seconds to Mars. This song is on My Life Soundtrack. I've loved this song from the first time I heard it. It is very powerful and I was immediately drawn to it. It may seem like a strange addition to my soundtrack, but this song got me through some rough times a couple years ago and has become my anthem of inner strength and taking control back of my life.

I went through somewhat of an identity crisis about 2 years ago after having my second baby. I was having a hard time finding myself and knowing how to be happy. I'm pretty sure I was going through postpartum depression. One day I heard this song in a whole new light when I was listening to it very loudly in my car (as it is best listened to), singing along, with tears streaming down my face. All of a sudden this song was about me.

I was sick of being sad. I was done. This song, to me, is about being strong. It's about turning away from depression, not letting feelings of self-doubt, insecurities, or self-esteem issues bring me down, and about overcoming those dark, negative feelings. Standing on my two feet, and being who I want to be. Being me. That day was a turning point for me.

These lyrics are extremely powerful and will always be somewhat of an anthem in my life.

What if I wanted to break
Laugh it all off in your face
What would you do
What if I fell to the floor
Couldn't take all this anymore
What would you do?

Can't break me down
Bury me, Bury me
I am finished with you

What if I wanted to fight
Beg for the rest of my life
What would you do?
You say you wanted more
What are you waiting for?
I'm not running from you.

Can't break me down
Bury me, bury me
I am finished with you
Look in my eyes
You're killing me, killing me
All I wanted was you.

I tried to be someone else
But nothing seemed to change
I know now
This is who I really am inside
I finally found myself
Fighting for a chance
I know now
This is who I really am

Can't break me down
Bury me, bury me
I am finished with you
Look in my eyes
You're killing me, killing me
All I wanted was you
Can't break me down
Break me down
Break me down

What if I wanted to break?

On a somewhat related topic, check out this dance about addiction shown on this week's episode of So You Think You Can Dance. So incredibly powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment